Sunday, May 13, 2012

An Encouragement on Mother's Day

I had the privilege of sharing our adoption story and my journey, in particular, over the past two years.  Here is what I shared in church this morning for Mother's Day...

Almost two years ago Ryan and I decided to start the adoption process.  We’d always talked about adopting at some point, but we never knew we’d see it as our first option.  Ryan and I, up until that point, had not tried to start a family in any way (adoption, conception, fostering, etc.).  When we read Russell Moore’s book, Adopted for Life, and began studying God’s calling for every believer to care for the orphan, it was clear to us, that our care for the orphan was to adopt an orphan.  We never knew this would be our first choice, but time and time again God continued to grow a fervent passion in our hearts for adoption.  We had always heard about people adopting after having biological kids, or adopting because they struggled with infertility, but to adopt before even trying to conceive or knowing anything about fertility?  God’s plan for us was different.  We were ecstatic!  To use adoption to really relay the message of God’s adoption of us was exciting to think about.  God has adopted us into His kingdom.  Us: wandering, fatherless, children without an eternal home.  Adoption is such a pure example of this.

People told me in the beginning that adoption is not for the faint of heart.  Boy, were they right.  We have been blessed in so many ways in the past two years, and I, as a woman, have been tested in so many ways in the past two years.  God has been faithful and good, but there have been times where I have been very weak.  You see, when Ryan and I decided to start the adoption process we also decided that we wouldn’t do anything to prevent a pregnancy.  Well, in my head our adoption was going to go quickly, and if it didn’t I would probably get pregnant in the meantime and we’d still get to start our family soon.  God’s plan was different, though.  Don’t take that the wrong way, we were still going to adopt.  We have a heavy heart for adoption and that truly is our Plan A.  Even with this great passion and longing to adopt the enemy can still attack.  In the midst of a joyous journey there have been times of darkness; times where my selfish flesh has taken over and pitied myself for not getting pregnant or for our adoption taking so long.  God has reminded me time and time again in His word, though to “rejoice in hope. Be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” (Romans 12:12)  He also has reminded me to rejoice in my suffering because it builds character and endurance. 

When I start to feel sorry for myself, I’m reminded of MY mom.  A woman who has lived through more difficult mother’s days than I’d care to battle.  11 years until adopting a child, 14 years of infertility, a mother’s day after losing her own mom, several mother’s days where my brother was in jail or at an addiction treatment center, a mother’s day after losing this same older brother when he was only 20, and now, a mother’s day where she is the legal guardian of my 10 year old nephew.  Through all those difficult mother’s days she has remained unwavering in her faithfulness to God and He has remained faithful to her.   I know without a shadow of a doubt that God has led us to adopt.  I know that God is truly going to use our journey for His glory.  I know today is a difficult day for any woman who is in the middle of an adoption process, battling infertility, lost a mother or a child, or for the woman who is waiting patiently on her mate in order to start a family.  But, God is faithful, all knowing, and good.  He knows the desires of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment